Once you’ve chosen a platform and created your website for your ecommerce store, you will need to choose a payment gateway – the secure intermediary between your website and the financial institutions involved in processing the payment.
How does a payment gateway work?
A payment gateway enables online merchants like you to accept electronic payments from customers.
When a customer makes a purchase, the payment gateway securely collects their payment information, such as credit/debit card details and then encrypts and transmits this information to the payment processor or relevant bank for authorisation.
What to look for in a payment gateway?
Choosing the right payment gateway for your business and your customers depends on several factors:
- Is it a known brand your customers trust?
- Is it secure? Security should be your top priority when selecting a payment gateway.
- Is it mobile friendly? (59% of South African online shoppers shop via smartphone)
- Is it compatible with your chosen ecommerce platform?
- Does it work with the payment methods your customers prefer to use?
- Do the transaction costs meet your budgetary needs?
- Does it provide a good customer experience? This is non-negotiable.
By carefully evaluating these factors, you can select a payment gateway that aligns with your business requirements and provides a secure and seamless payment experience for your customers.
How to add a payment gateway
Most payment gateway providers offer official plugins or extensions specifically designed for WordPress. You can find these plugins in the WordPress Plugin Directory or on the provider’s website.
With WordPress, adding a payment gateway is as simple as installing a plugin.
Commonly used providers in South Africa include:
Using a payment gateway that your customers trust will positively impact your conversions and cart abandonment rates.
It’s important to perform a test transaction to ensure that the payment gateway integration is working correctly.
To ensure the success of your ecommerce store, choose a payment gateway that suits your business needs and budget but also creates the best shopping experience possible for your customers.